The American Elasmobranch Society (AES) was founded in 1983 as a
...non-profit organization...to advance the science of the study of living and fossil sharks, skates, rays and chimeras, and the promotion of education, conservation, and wise utilization of natural resources.
Annual meetings are held in conjunction with meetings of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, and symposia are organized around various aspects of elasmobranch biology.
AES Membership categories include:
- Friend- non-professional and non-voting individuals that support the mission of AES
- Student- individual persuing a college or professional degree
- Regular- professional
- Emeritus- retired professional
- Benefactor- contributing professional individual or organization
- Lifetime Membership- forever option for individuals who embrace commitment
AES currently has in excess of 500 members, and more than 20% reside outside of the United States. New members are always welcomed!
Current AES Members
This year (2016) the society voted to collect demographic information to understand existing diversity and track changes in diversity moving forward. In order to collect that information we need an application form from each member this year, new and old....
The demographic information is voluntary and will be used for reporting purposes only. Demographic information will not be included or associated with individual online profiles. Please email Jen Wyffels if you have any questions or concerns about providing demographic information.
- Sign-in to this website under the Members menu and update your contact information ("My Account" sidebar link). In case of need, your username is in the format Firstname.Lastname and passwords can be reset using the link provided on the login page.
- Complete an abbreviated membership application form : Select "renewing member" under Membership Type and voluntarily add information to the "Demographics" fields.
- Pay your membership dues using the link below for online payments
- Enjoy another year of membership!
- You will receive an email confirmation once your application has been processed.
** Individuals who have been AES members in the past but were not active during the last year may update profile information once 2017 applications are processed and access to the online database is restored. Please email Jen Wyffels with any questions.**
New AES Members & AES Friends
- Complete and submit the membership application form
- Pay your membership dues (below)
- Enjoy the rest of your day, job well done!
- Memberships are processed at the end of each month. You will receive an email confirmation once your application has been processed.
Use the payment choices below to pay online using the secure ProPay processing service:
** For international payments please enter "00000" in the zip code field **
Send payment (check or money order) by mail to the address below:Cathy J. Walsh, AES Treasurer
Mote Marine Laboratory
1600 Ken Thompson Parkway
Sarasota, FL 34236-1004
Memberships must be paid by December 31 of the prior year to be a Member in Good Standing for the current year and receive a ballot for elections.
You must maintain a valid email address in the membership database to be included in society communications.
Membership shall be open to persons interested in the objectives of the Society. Please note that students require endorsement by their faculty advisor. If you need additional information or help please contact Jen Wyffels